Wednesday, February 16, 2011

worlds of fashion collide

As a person who works in the world of fashion, esthetics being my current locale, I like to try to keep up on the latest trends and fashions. It's good to know what the kids are gonna be wearing this year....

In this spirit, I logged onto style.com and watched the Proenza Schouler Fall 2011 Read-to-Wear fashion show. Here's a quick re-cap:

According to our runway models, boobs are definitely out this fall, as are butts, hips and lips. In fact, it looks as if anyone who can manage to weigh less than their outfit is in, baby. I'm pretty sure I saw some Hammer Pants and a Cosby Sweater on one model.... at the same time. So if you are a teenager, consider raiding your dad's closet. Way, way back in the closet. Apparently mixing up the patterns is this fall's "bold" statement. Bold indeed. A blind man would flinch from that ensemble. And lastly, but clearly noteworthy, the loose, low, messy ponytail. Which in '88 was worn with a scrunchy. I guess we can count our blessings that the spiral perm isn't making a comeback this fall.
*knocks on wood*

It is a collision of worlds, my own fashion sense and the world of High Fashion. My wardrobe consists of moderately stylish, mostly comfortable clothing; rarely name brand, let alone designer. Even the outfits I wear to work are based more on movability and comfort than style. This has always been the case for me. I guess I can appreciate the fashion industry in some ways. I like to follow trends, even if I don't buy into them and I love a good fashion show as much as anyone. But don't think you're going to find Hammer Pants in my closet any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, the fashion world excludes a very broad swath of humanity just by virtue of the outlier status of the models. What is the message, exactly? That if you take up only a little more room than your own skeleton, that you can wear anything? Because I do not get some of it.

    What I do get is wearing things that make you feel happy or pretty, but since it's not the models choosing the outfits, it is a strange game. I dressed Linda up ONE TIME and posed her for a photo, and I don't know if she'll ever forgive me for her hair in that one. Because otherwise, she looked fantastic, but her bangs were doing something weird, and now that I look back, I can agree, but at the time I didn't care about hair so I didn't notice. If I'd asked for her input, it would have been brilliant.

    Oh fashion. We like to play with you, but you want us all to look skeletons emerging from the bins of the Goodwill. It's a weird dynamic.

    ReplyDelete