Sunday, April 14, 2013

30 Day Drawing Challenge - Day Three

Via The Dawnie Project

Day Three - Favorite Food

Sushi. Sushi is my favorite. If I could eat it every day, I would always enjoy it.
When I first learned to love sushi, there was only one place in the greater Portland metropolitan area that had conveyor belt sushi. and that was Marine Polis Sushiland. Sushiland was on the opposite side of the West Hills from where I and all of my friends lived at the time, so we only made it there about once a month or so. Someone had to have the idea, then someone had to have a car that was running and had gas in it. Then we would pile as many people as possible into the car and drive to the west side.

As we sat on the vinyl waiting benches, watching the sushi go around and around the conveyor belt, we would joke and count all the things that we were going to grab as soon as we sat down. We would wait for a booth to open up and then most of the talk would subside except for the people on the outside of the booth asking the people next to the belt to grab certain dishes before they were conveyed to the next person waiting to grab it up. Plates would pile up. The sign on the wall said: Green Plate $1.00, Orange Plate $1.50, Blue Plate $2.00. In those days, the blue plate was reserved for special occasions. We mostly stuck to the green and a few orange.

Mmmmm...sushi.


4 comments:

  1. I'm on day 3 too! :)

    It took me some time to learn to appreciate Japanese food but I find it delicious nowadays.

    Sushi was a good choice. :)

    -Ana
    anasketchblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sushi, but I now have a soy allergy. Which means I can only eat sushi if I make it myself at home. Fun sushi drawing! It's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is making me hungry. stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete